15 April 2008

My Biggest Challenge - Part 1 of 2


If you missed the August 20, 2007 issue of The Indie Experience, I was asked about my biggest business challenge.

As someone who approaches life with a unique perspective, I had to mentally reframe the question before I could respond.

This article (Part 1) addresses the value of reframing ideas (or questions, in this case) and the freedom of not labeling circumstance. Next week's article (Part 2) contains my answer to the question: "What Is Your Biggest Challenge?"

The Art of Reframing

My need to reframe the question posed in the interview has a foundation in acknowledging that I don't think the way most people do.

Without reframing the question, I would have to honestly answer, "I don't have challenges." However, this response places me in a position in which you cannot relate to me. I build as many bridges as possible for clear communication, and if you cannot relate to me -- for any reason -- I have not done my job. You stop listening.

So, instead of the answer, "I don't have challenges," I reframed the question based on how my mind works and my understanding of the impact of words (Part 1)... and then set out to answer the question (Part 2).

Reframing a question, notion, or situation is a preparation. It sets the foundation for maximum understanding or outcome. It allows us to take a few steps backward, look at the situation from another perspective, breathe deeply, relax and then proceed.

The reframed question allows me to illuminate yet another valuable life skill for your empowerment.

Dispelling the Need to Label Circumstance

I live the entire range of experiences of being on this physical plane... just like you. The difference is my mental approach, which is: "No circumstance is a challenge (or problem)."

I know how damaging it is to place labels on circumstance. How often have you heard someone else (or yourself) say, "That was so traumatic."

Engage me for just a moment. In recounting the story, what if, instead, you said, "Although I was scared at first, that experience taught me how much strength I really have when I need it! I was very proud of how I handled the situation."

Same scenario. Different mindset AND a diversely different impact on everyone involved... including you! One is based in fear and leaves the situation open-ended with IT in power. The second scenario is clearly concluded with YOU in power.

Sit with these examples for just a moment. How does each feel? Yeah, I thought so.

I understand the power of words.

I also understand the impact of thinking something like, "I'm having a terrible day. Nothing is going right," which can number in the thousands throughout the course of one day. (What can possibly be different if, with your thoughts, you've already committed to having a "terrible" day? You actually anchored that experience to you!)

Furthermore, I know the devastating impact of being in the habit of actually giving voice to these thoughts. (Don't do it! It serves no purpose other than feeding the monster and leaving you disempowered.)

Attaching your current experience to words like problem, catastrophe, bad, hardship, fiasco, mistake, emergency, disaster, tragedy, etc. is death to your well-being.

In my world there's no such thing... not because I am immune to the impact of everyday experience, but because I simply don't attach labels to circumstance.

It's a conscious choice at first and requires practice, but I promise, it soon becomes habit.

As you'll experience for yourself, eliminating the need to label experiences richly enhances your life because it frees you to consider other, more empowering, alternatives in the moment of now.

You, too, have a choice; you get to decide if the circumstances in front of you are "problems" or not.


Now that you know how I approach this question of my biggest "challenge," stay tuned to Part 2 in which I actually share with you my biggest business life circumstance. A hint: It will surprise and inspire you. It's a time-tested and proven technique to blow out all limitation. It's quick, it's easy and it's accessible to EVERYONE, but it requires a mental adjustment to the traditional approach to business!


No comments: