23 July 2010

Action as a self- and life-affirming gesture


Bald-by-choice isn't for every woman. But then again, what is? One of the most fun aspects of life is the freedom to choose what’s best for us as individuals. Who knows better for ourselves than we do, right?


On a regular basis, as I’m conducting the business of my life, women smile at me and make some gesture or comment about my near-hairless head. They often say, “I’d love to do that, but I don’t have the courage.”


And I say, “Sure you do. You just don’t know it yet.” And with a few words, a stealthy but powerful seed-of-thought has been planted, to burst into bloom at some perfectly-orchestrated moment in the future.


Shaving my head wasn’t an act of courage. Rosa Parks had courage. Eleanor Roosevelt had courage. Amelia Earhart had courage. Lucia Rene has courage. I have a bald head. But it means something to me and that’s all that matters.


It’s been so long since I had hair that bald is now my norm. However, in the moments when I stop to think about what it means to me now, it serves as a reminder of the importance of doing what is right for each of us, regardless of social convention or what others think. It’s your life. Live it!


Within your body and your being, you must be at peace to make your greatest contribution.


Free yourself from the imposing beliefs of others on your life, with action. Do what makes the most sense to you. Maybe it’s shaving your head. Maybe it’s saying, ‘No.’ Maybe it’s obliterating a limiting belief. Maybe it’s creating more ‘you’ time. Maybe it’s responding, ‘Yes,’ to the beckoning voice of your soul.


Whatever the prompting, propel your transformation with action.



No comments: