18 January 2011

Are you focused and fully present with what's right in front of you?


Whatever you do, do it with your full, focused attention.
~Charlon Bobo

We live in busy times and yet precious moments are slipping past with us engaged in most activities with our half-attention, or less. Here are only a few recent examples:
  1. I see children with their parents completely distracted by technology (cell phone, iPhone, etc.) instead of engaging in conversation, and yet we have the audacity to demand that those same children snap to attention when we want it!
  2. In restaurants I see couples sharing a meal with both people obviously distracted by private thoughts instead of enjoying the moment of now fully engaged with each other.
  3. I responded to a request from a prospect and in those 10 minutes of trying to connect and give her something of value, she took two other calls. (Needless to say, this is all the information I needed to decide she is not my next new client. When we cannot give our full attention to someone who genuinely wants to help us, our priorities need a major adjustment.)

I see the inefficiency of fragmentation. Checking and responding to emails as they come in; acting on every mental impulse to do something other than what you're currently doing; telling others you can focus on them while you're doing two or three other tasks (and believing the lie, because if you called a bullshit on yourself, you'd have to actually take responsibility and change your behavior).

I'm not exempt. Believe me, I get distracted by the next shiny object as much or more than anyone else on the planet. And I pride myself on efficiency and my ability to manage many tasks at one time. BTW, when did that become an admirable trait?! (It's the perfect recipe for fragmentation at its best and insanity at its worst.)

However, when it comes to engaging with others in a meaningful way--whether in person, via telephone or via email--I am committed to consistently being fully present; giving those in front of me my very best... now that's a present!

You can never give your kid another childhood. You can never re-do an evening out with your beloved. You never get another chance to make a first impression on someone who can help you thrive in business.

Whatever you do, do it with your full, focused attention.

No comments: