09 February 2008

Bald or Not: To Thine Own Self Be True


On Monday I was contacted by a newspaper reporter writing an article on women who are bald by choice. Within minutes an interview for the Baltimore Sun was underway. See full article here.


The reference to responses being mostly negative was a misunderstanding on the part of the reporter. Quite the contrary. I’ve been blessed with an extraordinary amount of spontaneous hugs from women I don't know, tearful approaches of support (they assume I have cancer), remarks about how beautifully-shaped my head is and comments about the courage it takes to do such a thing. It's fascinating to hear people express their take on my hair and head!

The experience of being bald contains many illuminating facets. It continues to serve me and I cannot foresee growing hair again because:

1. It suits me.

2. It’s my way of embracing a simple beauty regimen that doesn’t rob me of my precious time and energy.

3. It’s a passive resistance statement to the multi-billion dollar commercial beauty industry that prefers I feel badly about my 42-year-old face and body so I’ll consume their products.

4. What I look like on the outside doesn’t begin to reflect who and how I am on the inside.

5. Every time I look in the mirror, I am reminded of a line in Shakespeare's Hamlet: “To Thine Own Self Be True.”

People have a compulsion to give their opinions. It's the funniest thing when you're able to watch this dynamic from a distant perspective. They comment on your life; to discuss it, to embrace it, to ridicule it, to criticize it or to support it. Whatever the sentiment, they want to talk.

The bottom line is this: No matter what you do, there will be those who are threatened by you if you live in full alignment and expression of your highest self. Most times, it's those who aren’t doing the same who have the most to say. Sometimes they express anger. They get angry when you do what’s right for you if it falls outside the lines of tribal (cultural) beliefs, e.g., women can have short hair and long hair and blond, red and brunette hair, but women CAN’T have no hair. Well, this one does.

So, I charge you: To You Be True. In your relationships, in business, in life. Be true to you.

You have no higher calling than to express your originality -- your style, your language, your way, your spin, your personality, your opinion, your angle, your insights, your fabulous self.

This isn't about being bald or not. Being bald might NEVER work for you. It’s not for everyone just like kiwi/strawberry toothpaste isn’t for everyone.

The freedom lies in being free enough to do for yourself what you know serves you. And this is not subject to the input of others. It is your birthright and belongs to you exclusively.

Right now take out a piece of paper and write down 10 things that you’re not doing because they’re not socially acceptable (in your home, in your family, in your community, etc.). Remember, these must be things that don’t cause harm to others or take away their ability to make choices that are right for them. Rank them 1-10 and starting with #1, take action. Some are a BIG deal and others -- when implemented -- may be quite subtle. The point is you’re listening to the inner voice that guides you and you’re responding. Good for you!

I’d love to hear back from you on how this exercise positively impacts your life. Feel free to email me comments, progress, inspirations and insights.

PS: If you’ve never put your bald head through a sunroof at 55 MPH, you don’t know what you’re missing!

No comments: